Sleeping with scoliosis - 5 Helpful tips and tricks

Hello everyone,

I hope you have all had a great 2018 so far.
Today I wanted to talk about some of the struggles people with scoliosis deal with regarding sleep and share some of my tips and tricks on how to get a better nights sleep!

Scoliosis can cause ache, pain and discomfort especially at the end of a day, therefore sleeping can be a real issue. I remember before my surgery experiencing quite a lot of problems regarding sleep due to my back pain, so I thought by doing this post I could share with you some of the tips and tricks that worked for me.


1) Pillows -
Pillows add comfort and the bonus is you can place them around the area in which you are experiencing pain. They provide support and can sometimes help to relieve some of the pain. Another important factor regarding pillows, is how many you sleep on. This may sound weird, but sleeping with too many or too high pillows can put pressure on the neck and spine causing even more pain and discomfort so make sure you only sleep on one pillow.

2) Find a comfortable position -
This can be hard, believe me I can relate but once you find that comfortable position sleeping becomes SO much easier. Some people have a specific sleeping position, which is comfortable for them it may be worth trying to find yours. Sleeping on your front, especially with scoliosis is not the most wise idea, this is because lying on your front puts pressure on the spine and it is an unnatural position.

3) Take ibuprofen or Paracetamol -
Taking medication all the time isn't recommended, however sometimes we have to use them. Pain relief such as ibuprofen and paracetamol, provide a relief for pain and therefore lead to a better nights sleep, so whilst its not recommended it can be necessary sometimes.

4) Mattress -
Getting a comfortable and supportive mattress is important for everyone. However, if you have scoliosis and you are struggling to sleep getting a new supportive mattress would be beneficial. A comfortable mattress will support your back and help to give you a good nights sleep.

5) Get into a sleeping routine -
I would highly recommend doing this as it will train your body clock and therefore you will have a better nights rest. Something else that you could do before going to bed on a night, would be stretching this will help to relax tense muscles and therefore help to reduce back pain.

Sleeping on a night with scoliosis back aches and pains, is hard and I can relate with a lot of you reading this, and I also understand that sometimes you can do everything stated above and the pain just doesn't go away but I thought I would do this post as a lot of the time these tips and tricks do work for me.

Thank you for reading, I hope this has been useful in some way.

Toodlepip,
Sadie xoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Max Factor lip kit - review

Testing Barry M!

Hydrotherapy treatment for scoliosis