Travelling with scoliosis

Hello everyone,

This month I am travelling abroad, for the first time since my surgery. I'm so excited, but at the same time I am a tad bit nervous. I really don't want to burn my scar or set off the security body scanners in the airport with the metal in my back. As minor as my worries may seem I think it's mainly because I don't want anything to go wrong when I have come so far with virtually no problems at all!
But, my worries are exactly why I wanted to write this blog post. I wanted to share, how I prepared to travel, after spinal fusion surgery. It can be quite daunting. However, it doesn't have to be.
Hopefully I can share some of my tips and tricks for a stress free vacation.




1) Pack a high factor sun cream for your scar.

Scar tissue is essentially fragile skin which, with too much exposure to sunlight can be further damaged and become more noticeable, so moral to the story pack that high factor sun cream!
I'm not saying that you need to hide your scar from even seeing the light of day, but just make sure it's protected.


2) Take a neck pillow

Okay, so this ones not as essential as the sun cream, but this will just make you feel way more comfortable on a long hall flight.


3) Pack a cover up top

Again, this one is on a similar line to tip 1, in the sense that the cover up top will help to keep your back protected during peak time.


4) Pack some paracetamol and ibuprofen

If you experience quite a lot of pain from your scoliosis, then this one will be obvious to you. However, even if you don't I think it is important to pack some just in case. You won't want to be in pain on your holidays.


5) Relax and have a good time

This sounds obvious but if this is your first time travelling since surgery, it is easy to freak out and worry about every little thing that could go wrong, but 99% of the time nothing will happen or go wrong. You've gone through this massive operation and you desereve to relax and have a good time, so do it!

I want you all to be aware that it is normal to worry and be nervous, but don't let it take over and remember that you are on the other side of things now.

Thank you for reading
Hope you all found this useful to some extent.

Sadie xoxo





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Max Factor lip kit - review

Testing Barry M!

Hydrotherapy treatment for scoliosis